Old Havana is the oldest area of the Cuban capital. As a whole has an urban layout similar to a convex lens of about 5 square kilometers of surface where there are still remains of the walls that for two centuries protected with a ring of stones and set up as a defensive military compound. The demolition of the wall began in 1863.
Due to the cosmopolitan nature of its inhabitants through history, Old Havana is a reflection of a mixture of architectural styles and testimony from different eras: Spanish and American crown, British, French. When he was in government hands US comptroller, old colonial buildings were demolished to raise other imposing with neoclassical facades. During the 90s of the twentieth century the rescue of the historic atmosphere of Old Havana, driven by the office of city historian, who had left the buildings and monuments maintenance for over forty years begins. Since then carried out a research and restoration, which is carried out by the inhabitants of Old Havana. This activity has had a considerable weight work management and planning of the Office of the Historian of the City.